AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beef stew recipes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

ANewman
Posted 1/8/2024 11:44 (#10563240 - in reply to #10562595)
Subject: RE: Beef stew recipes

Hillsboro, TN
I developed this recipe by combining elements from several written recipes and through trial and error. Until now I've kept it stored in my head. I actually wrote it down on paper so I can (hopefully) type a concise recipe here. I'm one that usually doesn't measure things very precisely, so most all measurements listed below are approximate. You'll have to adjust according to your tastes. This not a quick fix meal, it takes several hours.

3-4 lb chuck roast (cut in bite sized pieces)
1 onion (diced)
~ 2 stalks celery (chopped)
3-4 cloves of garlic (minced)
~3 med. carrots (peeled and diced)
~3 med. Gold or russet potatoes (peeled and diced)
1/2 cup A.P. flour ( a thickening agent. May also use corn starch
slurry)
2 Tbs tomato paste
3/4-1 cup red wine
~ 8 cups beef stock/broth
2 Tbs Avocado or Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 tsp thyme
2 Tbs smoked paprika
1 Tbs parsley
3 Bay leaves
2 Tbs Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce (wash-your-sister
sauce, W- sauce, Roy's-sister-Sher'ee sauce... however
you say it)
1 tsp Hot sauce ( Louisiana, Crystal, etc - cayenne based)
1 Tbs Vinegar ( Balsamic/Red Wine Vinegrette or white vinegar)
2 Tbs Butter
Salt and black pepper to taste

In a large Dutch oven, over med- high heat, add oil and brown beef. Remove from pot and set aside. Melt butter and sautée the onions and celery until the onions become translucent, then add garlic. Once the garlic becomes fragrant (about 30 sec-1 min) add tomato paste and incorporate well. Add flour, stir well. Deglaze pot with red wine, scraping any browned bits off bottom. Allow wine to reduce by about half (approx 2 min). Stir in ~ 4-6 cups of broth and return beef to the pot. Increase heat, bring to a boil. Stir in thyme, parsley, w-sauce, hot sauce, vinegar, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low, place lid on, leaving it slightly cracked open. Slowly simmer on stove top over low heat for approx 2 hrs.(at this point you could also put it in a preheated 300° oven for about 2 hrs). Check and stir about every 30 min adding remaining broth as needed. When beef reaches about 3/4 desired tenderness, add potatoes and carrots. Continue simmering (baking) for an additional 45 min-1 hr or until beef and vegetable reach desired tenderness. I recommend serving with a fresh pan of cornbread.

ETA: I knew I'd forget something. When I add my spices I'll also throw in a tablespoon or two of smoked paprika. I'll add that to the list of ingredients above.

Edited by ANewman 1/8/2024 13:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)