AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cutting a sieve on a 2188 CIH?? Anyone hear of this?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 7/25/2009 02:04 (#787310 - in reply to #787245)
Subject: Re: Cutting a sieve on a 2188 CIH?? Anyone hear of this?

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Jim in Sask - 7/25/2009 22:56

Jon, I had heard the fan conversion wasn't everything it was cracked up to be and I guess your experience verifies that. I put the cover on my chaffer after harvest last year so this fall will be the first I've used it - hope it helps me as much as it did on your machine.

I bet you will like the cleaner sample and much less return with the sieve mod and cover on the front 10-12 inches of the air foil chaffer.
When I first tried this mod, I wired a sheet of common corrugated cardboard ( amazing how little even soft cardboard was worn by the grain) to the front of the chaffer and saw a dramatic difference.
It worked well enough that I thought it well worth the money to buy the ripple tin from Harvest for the next season. I attached them with steel pop rivets.
Harvest claims that their ripple tin not only fits the shape of the chaffer better, but also that the ripple shape helps "walk" the crop material to the rear.
My 1480's are the short sieve machines, so with a foot of the chaffer front blocked off, I worried that I might not have enough chaffer remaining and might lose grain off the chaffer. I tried the Harvest trick of coating the chaffer with a light dusting from a can of cheap white spray paint. Go harvesting for a day and then see where the grain wore the paint off the chaffer. I was happy to see that the paint on the rear 1/3 of the chaffer had no wear.
This told me that in spite of losing the front foot of the short chaffer to the ripple tin, the grain was all out of the chaff mat by the time it reached the last 1/3 of the chaffer. This was in 50 bpa spring wheat and 100 + bpa oats.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)