AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bicarbonates and idc
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

soil-life
Posted 7/23/2009 09:30 (#785211 - in reply to #785152)
Subject: Re: bicarbonates and idc

North Central Ohio, across the Corn belt !
Greywolf - 7/23/2009 08:43

Main soil groups are Canisteo/Glencoe Complex, Clarion Loam, and Nicollet Clay loam. with Glencoe Clay loam scattered here and there in spots.

A representative sample ( this soil sample was in the same complex in a bordering field with the same make up), Organic matter- 5.8, Olsen P ppm-19, K ppm -149, Zn ppm 1.1, S ppm SO4-S -12, pH 7.7 (this is one the "cool" side of the complex), CEC 30.2, Calcium ppm - 4970, Magn ppm - 497.

Base saturations: Ca - 84.4, Mg - 13.8, K - 1.3, Na - 0.4

No micros were run. The actual field is up for sampling this year and will get a full macro/micro test run.

The beans are finally starting to green up right now, 10 days ago they were questionable if they'd even survive. But it has been a cooler and drier than normal yr "here". beans were direct seeded into standing stalks.

There are pockets in this field that will actually be white on the surface mid season, but (when we still did it) a cultivation pass would have the ground being the blackest black.

Like I mentioned in the previous post, the original plats when surveyed in the 1850's actually have part of this field listed as "swamp" (I've viewed a photocopy of the original). The remarks made at that time, Renville Co would have very little ag economic benefit to the state due to the majority of the land make up being swamps and marshes. A common soil profile "going down" is various clay bases (mainly yellow and blue) going down to around 125', then about a 10' 'vein' of gravel, then clay once again to around 185' where you run into the bedrock. That's from the report when I drilled my well 1/4 mile from that field 3 yrs ago.

Bruce, that is a very comparable example ! K and zinc are so critical and I try to run the k up to 300 Plus ppm and the Zinc to 3 ppm or so over time !!! as cash flow permits ??? I find that OTHER symptoms GO Away especially if your field is well tiled !!!

BWilson states Many times what he sees or does not see when he applies Heavy rates of A.A. and K to similar soils in quite a different environment !!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)