AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

can you plant corn too thick?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 7/20/2009 22:25 (#782203 - in reply to #782025)
Subject: Re: can you plant corn too thick?

In '07 I planted a crows number the rep said liked 34,000. So I made a special sprocket for my 7000. I ran out of seed because it spilled an extra seed on an average of about every 12 feet. Did picket fence spacing otherwise. When I ran out of seed I grabbed a part of a sack of an Ottilie number from 2005 and used it up, then I grabbed some DynaGro from 2006 and finished the field. They all grew and matured. The Crows looked the best, but the Ottilie didn't seem to mind the thick planting, but the DynaGro did NOT appreciate being that close. All the ears were half filled. And the plants were evenly spaced, just the plants were too close for that variety in that soil.

I have planted with a cyclo 400. Center fill was sure nice, but the random spacings and gaps was not nice. I won't call it a planter though it was good at counting seed, just terrible at getting them to the ground evenly. Lots of looseness in the drum drive didn't help, it tended to snap rather than turn smoothly. So much that looking back with a couple mirrors I couldn't see it move until I painted random multicolored stripes on the drum.

A brush set too far from the drum or with a groove worn at one or more rows will let the cyclo spill a lot more seeds and put them side by side. Small flats make that worse. Flats can be bad, big rounds solve both those but aren't often available in quantity. An out of round drum could put out more doubles for part of the revolution.

Gerald J.

Edited by Gerald J. 7/20/2009 22:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)