AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Growing Grapes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rodrod5
Posted 7/21/2009 00:57 (#782463 - in reply to #782436)
Subject: Re: Growing Grapes

Lubbock, Texas
it is Mandola Winery

one thing about the labor.....it is SEASONAL........you will 100% HAVE TO HAVE it at pruning time........you will have 3-5 weeks max to get pruning done (actually I think in Arkansas they do some early pruning that can't be done here in Texas because because early pruning promotes early bud break and early bud break (even a few days) increases the chance of spring frost wiping you out

you will also need labor at harvest......the good news is they don't need to be the same group of labor (unless you hand harvest then they will need to be at least the same type of "labor")

here in west Texas we have luck on our side.......about the time ginning season is over is when grapes need pruned......then harvest is just before the gins open up.....so labor is already in the area

you will want your pruning labor to be able to LEARN....and hopefully back every year

you WILL want to talk to white golds brother......he is a great guy with a row cropping background that has grown fast and well in grape growing here in Texas......he got a lot of really good advice and listened and he has done as well or better than any new vineyard owner I can think of here in Texas....there is another in the same area that has also grown very fast......same row cropping background except organic as well....and it helps they have 11 kids including several up farming age

if you put everything and more into it (like you were starting a whole new farm) there are few I know around here that regret they have grapes....and even some that cut corners.....are still glad they have grapes....but they wished they had not cut those corners
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)