AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Growing Grapes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

White Gold
Posted 7/21/2009 00:30 (#782436 - in reply to #782413)
Subject: Re: Growing Grapes

South Plains of Texas
Rod is correct on all he said, except one thing. You better be ready to work and to have a lot of people to help you and some deep pockets. My brother has a 55 acre vineyard and I don't know all the details, but I do know that he has been at it for about 10 yrs. He started with 5 acres and then added acres every yr. from then on. It will cost $15000 or more per acre if you are serious and want to do it right and for the long term. I believe he puts in 1300 vines per acre. If you cheat on some of the wire and stuff it will bite you in the butt. He has ordered enough T-posts to make the King ranch jealous. LOL You also have to be very diligent in every thing you do. You can't just start the hands to doing something and then run to town for a cup of coffee and to get some parts. They can screw up a lot in a few hrs., and it will cost you for years. You can't just plow up and replant next year, if you do there is no way to mechanically harvest. My brother also has a lot of labor. I could probably farm about 5000 acres of cotton with the labor he uses in a year, and I am not exagerating one bit. I'm not trying to discourage you or talk you out of it, just want to know the whole picture. PM me and I'll get you in touch with my brother, He loves to show off his vineyard and talk grapes. He sells a lot of grapes to Becker Winery here in Texas and about six others that I can't remember the name of. One of the winerys is owned by the guy that owns Carinos italian restaurants.

Edited by White Gold 7/21/2009 00:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)