AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How many people do you know are the perfect magazine farmers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 12/3/2022 09:42 (#9962821 - in reply to #9962619)
Subject: RE: How many people do you know are the perfect magazine farmers?

East of Broken Bow
I actually know a couple. One owns probably 1500 acres, the other farms about that much but maybe only owns 1/3.

In both cases, it is a generational farm, one guy says if his grade schooler will join the operation, he will be the 5th generation farming, and they got where they are mostly due to hard work and sacrifice. Oh, and timing didn't hurt at all. They saved money in the boom of the 70s, and bought land in the 80s, pretty much at the bottom.

In both cases, they are great folks, well liked by their neighbors, and are good people to be around. They are what I'd call a bit hyperactive in that they just can't stand still, but they use that energy towards keeping things neat and well kept.
Their machinery isn't turned over every year, but it seems like every year they do trade in one major thing. However, they also have older equipment that looks about parade ready at all times. I mean, every leak is fixed, and their auger tractor gets unhooked and put in the shed every night. If the weather isn't fit for harvest (or planting or whatever) they will wash and wax things. One year they waxed their combine 3 times during harvest because it was 'rainy and we needed something to do'.
They are also have a strong sense of family, neighborhood, and are good Church members. Not just the kind that show up on Sunday, but the kind that helps mow the lawn, keep the hedges trimmed, and organizes the potlucks.
One once said, it took them over 100 years to get where they are, but they are truly blessed.

(I also know a few who would sell their mother's grave for a profit, but put on the appearance of being perfect, I'm not counting them).
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)