AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Adding weight in back of Suburban for winter driving
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

VMUSA1
Posted 11/29/2022 22:29 (#9957092 - in reply to #9956468)
Subject: RE: Adding weight in back of Suburban for winter driving

Illinois Heartland
Appreciate you sharing that!

I had a similar experience when I first started my career as a Transportation engineer and is what steered me to highway safety.

I was a passenger in a Chevy caprice station wagon and we were hauling around surveying and staking equipment to lay out a bridge. An old guy turned left in front of us and we hit him at 55+ mph head on. The back seat folded partially down and acted as a a ramp.

Everything in the back end launched over the front seat. The guy I was with that was driving got hit in the back of the head with a sledge hammer and nearly died. He was in an induced coma for several days. A sharp pointed range pole went whizzing between us and made a hole through the front windshield and stuck in the other car. I got hit in the head with something unknown and had severe whiplash. I have bad arthritis in my neck 36 years later that doctors attribute to the crash.

After the investigation, they mandated plastic safety shields in all the construction vehicles hauling around gear.

Shortly after, I signed on to the Statewide Safety Review Committee and made a career advocating Motorist Safety.

To the OP’s original question, I would be mindful of adding any kind of ballast that might cause a change in the steering and handling of that type of vehicle in addition to creating a flying hazard to the passengers on impact. If it can be done over or ahead of the rear axle and be tied down securely, then go for it. Also keep in mind that while it may gain you increased starting traction, the heavier mass may increase your stopping distance and greatly reduce your stopping ability. SUVs are notorious for going great in snow and ice, but they don’t stop any better than any other vehicle and is why you see so many wrecked in a bad storm.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)