AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are X-rays at every dental cleaning a scam?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

chris dds
Posted 11/9/2022 17:21 (#9923583 - in reply to #9921950)
Subject: RE: Are X-rays at every dental cleaning a scam?

The answer is.....it depends. Someone with a high caries risk (decay) for whatever reason should have x rays taken more often than someone with a very low caries risk. Someone with a lot of old fillings or crowns that are breaking down should have them checked more often than someone without. Some types of x rays look for cavities, some look for bone loss. Someone with a history of periodontal disease should have x rays more often than someone without.

Panoramic x rays for adults -- usually every couple years is adequate. Kids with develping dentitions may need panoramic radiographs more often (and sometimes need it more often than the insurance frequency limitations). Although it is rare, but there are incidental findings on x rays -- like pathology or orther problems.

You certianly have the right to refuse x-rays; however, remember that the dentist (or any other healthcare provider) may not be able to provide the proper care for you and also that he/she has the right to terminate the doctor-patient relationship and dismiss you.

I do not mind when someone questions why they need xray or some other thing. I will do my best to explain why we need to do it a certian way. Part of informed consent is that that the patient must be informed about the risks, benefits, and reasonable alternatives for a given treatment.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)