AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GS2 capabilities
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 12/4/2006 21:48 (#69340 - in reply to #69300)
Subject: Re: GS2 capabilities

Grand Rapids, MI
Well...as for the dust...I can see a few things in front of me now...it looks like we are heading in the right direction...but still too dusty to make out the path ahead for sure. Some trees are being shaken at Deere right now, and I think I personally may have a better picture in a week or two. Right now I am still advising all my clients to hold off on anything GS2 until a few more things shake out.

Heres what I know about your specific questions at this time:
1. GS2 will log split planter passes IF you are using the proper John Deere planter, it needs to be fairly new, I believe the designation is "Seedstar 2" but don't quote me on that. Now the real question: What do you want to do with the logged split planter passes? Deere has not yet documented its data format so that 3rd party developers can import these logs. Deere's own software, APEX, will import them, but has no ability to do any sort of analysis of yields, etc. based on these logs. APEX and GS2 were supposed to be able to give at least some basic yield by variety information through the "variety locator" function whereby the variety was attached to the yield file while harvesting. Turns out "variety locator" is pretty much junk, so no luck there. So I guess the answer is yes it will log, but no you can't do anything with the log except look at the pretty striped picture.

2. As for logging from a 3rd party controller (e.g. Raven) I think it is supposed to log from CERTAIN Raven and other controllers, some are supported, others are not. I have no idea how this is working in GS2 because my clients already had solutions to do this logging, and we sure were not going to try to switch to Deere this year! So hopefully someone else can help you out here. The problem again is going to be what you can do with the data once it is logged.

3. I think it will do both simultaneously, I know it will log split planter at the same time as auto steer, have not had experience with the other.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)