AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sprayer economics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jb12string
Posted 6/18/2009 22:57 (#750107)
Subject: Sprayer economics

For those who don't know, we farm small acres, about 43 total, we used to spray our own, but due to some equipment failures, we have had the local co-op spray it for us.  With the size acreage that we have, does it make sense to look at building/rebuilding our sprayer.  Dad writes the checks, but I think we get charged around $10/acre for application.  Off the top of my head, I know we are going to need a new tank, new booms (including nozzles, etc) since the old booms were wet booms and one of the bigger pains in the rear end.  I think the tractor mount can be salvaged as well as the tank cart, we put a new roller pump on the year that the sprayer crapped out, so that should still be good as well, The old teejet divertaflow is probably a little iffy, could go either way.  Being on 43 acres with our "big" tractor having 50 hp at the drawbar, we are running calibrated eyeball guidance on everything except the planter, which we use gravity positioning system (aka chain on pipe) so we probably should put a foamer on to minimize test strips.  Plus we need to take our pesticide license test again to get re-certified.  Does it make sense for us to get back into spraying for ourselves or do we leave the headache to others?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)