AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old Vinyl flooring
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Grandma Jane
Posted 8/30/2021 20:34 (#9194298 - in reply to #9193816)
Subject: RE: Old Vinyl flooring

Same farm as t-boss SC IA
I pulled up carpet from 2 rooms upstairs last winter & just knew there had to be hardwood floors under all the black backing from the carpet that had been glued down for 40 yrs! The 1st room I tried several methods & finally gave up trying to get it scraped up. Ended up just painting it. Then in the 2nd room I discovered a product that was what I needed. Don’t get me wrong….it was a lot of work scraping but I got it down to the hardwood. It was an adhesive remover from Kleen Strip. I also used a scrapper tool from Zinsser that used 4” blades similar to a razor blade. Went thru lots of blades & adhesive remover but in the end I had a floor we say has character! Knowing what I figured out in the 2nd room…I redid the 1st room only had to add a paint stripper remover to the job! After I got it scraped I sanded it with a little handheld DeWalt sander & put some varnish on it & called it good. It took me all winter & spring but in the end I’m very happy with my floors. I could have hired it refinished but for me to do it was what I needed. It was a great project! Just takes time & hard work with several different products & tools.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)