AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old Vinyl flooring
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

don@nebr
Posted 9/2/2021 20:01 (#9199443 - in reply to #9198401)
Subject: RE: Old Vinyl flooring

I would have it tested before scraping or sanding. I was assured once that it could not be hot from big Asbestoes, low likely hood. Tried sanding with a small hand held with a contained comparment for dust. Worked great for about 10 minutes. Dust bin plugged up and a thick dust cloud formed in seconds. And I was instantly sick with what felt like pneumonia. Days later I had some tested. HOT with bad stuff. Chest hurt for months. One day just went away. Chest still hurts with exertion. Feels like air hunger.

Test, if hot options are put underlayment over it and lay nice new wood plank. OR tear up hardwood with glue attached and replace with new thick hardwood. Sometimes walls were built over those floors so figure that out first.

If it is not hot by test go rent a floor sander from Menards and diy OR hire it pro done. Pro finishers are going to be a lot better. They sand, fill voids, sand, finish, buff, finish, buff, finish. Your job may look GOOD but not fabulous

I always thought oak should be stained lightest color possible. My floor guy said he would only use walnut, dark, to hide pet stains. Turned out stunning, would never go back. My floors were70 years old and gouged and scratched badly. Looks perfect now
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)