AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Productivity Map on Ripper = Soil Density Map?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Don Smith
Posted 11/25/2006 20:44 (#65459 - in reply to #65380)
Subject: RE: Well stated!

Centre county Pennsylvania, USA
Mark, I think you are correct in assuming flat ground speed is what you want if you farm flat ground.

We don't have any flat ground here so we do want to know about non-flat ground speed and non-flat surface acres. Our transect slopes aren't quit 45 degrees but if they were then flat ground speed would underestimate the surface acres we plow, fertilize, plant spray, and harvest by 40%. I know yield monitors are not much better than 40% accurate but cost of products, machines, and labor (including management labor) are accurate to the penny, so thats why we want to know about non-flat ground speed and non-flat acres here.

I don't know about modern combines or tractors but our ancient John Deere number 9510 combine uses combine speedometer speed for computing the yield that is displayed on it's John Deere in-cab greenstar screen. That speed might not be coming from actual wheel speed sensor but it has to be coming from something inside combine, not from radar or GPS. Maybe someone knows where it comes from ?

I also don't know if modern cars that show MPG on instrument panel are sensing flat miles or non-flat miles for computing MPG, that would make a difference here in non-flat land. Maybe it tells that in fine print on EPA sticker? I almost never read EPA fine print.

Sorry for confusing, some questions should probably never be asked, like: is a mile a mile?, is an acre an acre?, is a spade a spade?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)