AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My son got his first deer today.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

kstate90
Posted 12/5/2010 15:24 (#1469431)
Subject: My son got his first deer today.

North Central Kansas
Rifle season for Deer started here in Kansas on Wednesday. I was busy working on pouring concrete so we didn't get to go until yesterday and only for a little while as we had to get the bulls caught and tested. So this morning we headed up to one of my farms to go hunting. We didn't get up there until sunup so we were thinking we were too late. We found a cedar tree on the edge of a milo field on the creek and waited. We saw some does but no bucks the first hour. My son Lane was getting anxious to move to the next field but I told him we needed to wait. After he said that I glassed the edge of the field and saw a nice buck and a doe standing in the timber on the west edge of the field about 400 yards away. I told him we needed to wait and see what they did. The doe came out accross the field and the buck followed. He came right in front of us at about 150 yards. Lane fired the first time and missed so he reloaded and shot at the buck as he was running. That shot dropped the buck. Unfortunately as we approached him he jumped up and ran into the creek. We headed back to the pickup and heard a gunshot in my field accross the creek so we went around to check on a friends son who was hunting accross from us. He had shot a small 8pt but had not seen our deer. We helped him load his and headed home to do chores. After a couple of hours we met the neighbors back at the creek to find the deer. He had gone about 400 yards down the creek and was sitting next to a tree. Lane shot him again to finish him off. Lane was shooting a Savage 243 Youth that I bought him a couple of weeks ago. I wish I would have had a video camera. It was fun watching the deer come in. This was a fair chase. No feeders just what the combine left behind. Sorry this is so wordy. Dad is a little excited too.

Edited by kstate90 12/5/2010 15:25

(Lane and his first deer.jpg)

(lanes first deer Dad and Lane.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Lane and his first deer.jpg (68KB - 158 downloads)
Attachments lanes first deer Dad and Lane.jpg (68KB - 161 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)