AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Residue Discussion Yesterday
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

scmn_06
Posted 12/16/2009 14:33 (#969820)
Subject: Corn Residue Discussion Yesterday

Blue Earth, MN
I attended a meeting yesterday where it seemed the main topic producers wanted to discuss was what are we going to do with our corn residue when it isn't breaking down as fast as it was 4 years ago. I found it to be an interesting topic.

In Southern MN, the residue decay rate has changed over the past few years. Don't know if it is due to the rootworm corn, tillage quality, or other factors influencing this problem.

Residue decay has many variables that either speed up or slow down the rate of decay. Time is a BIG factor in my opinion. It also appears to me that producers aren't giving their soil microbs enough time to break down the old corn residue before they have to plant the new crop. This is where I believe strip tillage has a very large advantage. The big advantage is moving the residue over to an area where the soil microbs have practically a full year to break it down. Also by moving the residue, we are able to provide the new growing crop a nearly residue free environment.

Mixing the residue in the top 4 inches of soil isn't working because the residue isn't breaking down fast enough and the new crop has to deal with the old residue. Mold board plows are working because they completely bury the residue.

In summary, it is appearing like the way to handle this new style of corn residue is to either bury it, burn it off (EPA would love that), or leave it on the surface and manage it with new tools and equipment.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)