AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First Hogs not growing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

PAswIA
Posted 8/2/2020 06:23 (#8410060 - in reply to #8409897)
Subject: RE: First Hogs not growing

KLo - 8/1/2020 22:53

captnG - 8/1/2020 22:03

Here's my hypothesis.

First I maybe got the pigs to early, and maybe they were still suckling on their mother, and I interrupted a crucial growing stage. I maybe should have waited for them to get a little bigger.  They were plenty big when you got them.  35-40 lbs

Second, I started them on too low of a protein source, and then diluted that down with filler and a time when they needed it the most. This is your main issue.
Fifth, I have a huge concrete fenced in area for them to run, all of 50' x 50'. I think I gave them to much space, so what they ate, they burned off quickly running around.  Unlikely

Now like I said they are very happy and healthy, but very very small for where they could be, what do you guys think of my hypothesis? Do you think I stand any chance of butchering a sizeable hog in November or December like I had planned? Any more information or wisdom would be very much appreciated! I like the idea of raising at least a couple outdoor hogs a year for my own use. I can't stomach confinement raised hog, I've worked in those buildings, and all I taste is the stink when I eat it.  Good for you raising your own food!  Everyone should try raising animals and growing a garden.  They will find out how hard it is to get a quality product and will appreciate a good, safe, nutritious product in the future.

Good answers. So they grow slower. They are healthy and happy. I used to raise hogs in confinement but finally crawled out from under the bus.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)