AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Difference in silage timing between north and south. Video.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 7/2/2020 22:17 (#8350712 - in reply to #8350164)
Subject: RE: Difference in silage timing between north and south. Video.

SE Manitoba
johndeere1 - 7/2/2020 18:18

dabeegmon - 7/2/2020 14:19

johndeere1 - 7/2/2020 13:06

We have seen the same thing as lacockcattle. We haven't grown corn here yet but neighbours tests come back the same.

Need to feed ddgs with corn silage to up the protien. Barley silage has enough protien for us so it's nice.

8-10 tonne barley silage and maybe 12-15 tonne for corn silage is a typical yield around here.

Hmmmmmm - - - the yield difference is ALWAYS pointed out.
What I find very very interesting is no one - - - - absolutely no one discusses the cost differences between the two crops.
There seems to be the implication that the added yield is - - - - sorta - - - - free.
Nothing is further from the truth.
Corn is a very hungry feeder.

Yes corn is very hungry. Probly double the fertilizer. It costs around $100 an acre for Fert for the barley so I'm guessing 200+ for corn. But an extra 5 tonne an acre I believe it pays in the end. If it rains. And that's a big if.

Dunno exactly what barley is right now but I"ll bet you're not spending over $25 an acres for seed - - - - likely less.
Corn - - - - I hear about a bag an acre or somewhere in the $200 to $250 and acre.

So -$100 for fert + -$200 for seed - - - - so is your corn silage worth $300?
I think Garvo prices his at maybe $45/ton - - - - so you're dropping $50 if not closer to $75 per acre.

I like the way you make money.
Would prefer you don't help me any - - - - I can't afford that kind of help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)