AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A few crop pics from around here.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Case IH farmer
Posted 8/3/2009 13:52 (#798199 - in reply to #798138)
Subject: Re: A few crop pics from around here.

IL
Lookingglass - 8/3/2009 12:34

You probably won't be 40+ long at harvest because you just have 40 in the pics. The top ear looks to have 15-20 aborted kernals on it. Looks to be good corn but kernal size and field variability will tell the tale. When was that planted? That is behind our May planted corn and maybe just a week ahead of our June planted corn(southwest IL). I thought southern IL had the latest crops. Depending on how far north you are a frost in 6 weeks could be a big problem. Your beans have ours by a mile. Our 15" rows have just canopied in the past week or 10 days.

The ears are 18x47 and 18x44. I called them 40+ because the last few don't normally make it. In my experience with these numbers in our area the last few years they will end up over 40 long. The one that is 47 will probably be harvested at 42-44 and the 44 long will be 39-41. Not too worried about the 15 kernels that didn't pollinate. 18x47=846-15=831. 831x34,500 harvest pop is over 300 BPA. I know the field won't make 300 BPA but the yield monitor will hit it in spots and the field will probably go over 250.

Frost in 6 weeks? The average frost date isn't for another 10 weeks. The average date for frost here is October 15. If it frosts in 6 almost everything I have seen planted from here south won't make it and probably not much north of here either.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)