AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bicarbonates and idc
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 7/24/2009 07:26 (#786245 - in reply to #785047)
Subject: Re: bicarbonates and idc

Greywolf - 7/23/2009 05:40 Up here in the "north" country, excess N is what is being seen as the biggest visual problems with high pH soils and beans. A cover crop of oats broadcast after planting and killed off at around 6" growth stage has been seen, so far, to be the most cost effective band aid fix.

-- I'd never heard of the theory that high soil N causes iron chlorosis in soybeans.  (where did you hear or read this?)  My understanding was that the cover crops could reduce iron chlorosis mainly by drying the soil, which isn't surprising since wetness greatly flares iron chlorosis. 

btw, I've seen some horrendous iron chlorosis in soybeans that were planted directly into a wheat cover crop, with the cc being sprayed out *after* planting, so the soil should've been nicely dried out in the top couple feet.  I'm strongly convinced of the value of cover crops for many soil and cash crop benefits, but apparently their ability to reduce iron chlorosis is fairly limited.  (Hint: you can accomplish a lot more with careful choice of genetics to tolerate iron chlorosis.)

(Edited to fix a problem with the fonts and missing 'End Quote')

Edited by mhagny 7/24/2009 07:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)