AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feel the need to rant a little
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WIJDW
Posted 12/12/2018 12:34 (#7166437 - in reply to #7166362)
Subject: RE: Feel the need to rant a little

An auction comes off as pretty darn fair and democratic to me.
Is there disappointment? Sure. I wonder how many people reading this have ever come in 2nd at an auction. I'd guess quite a few.
When I was much younger, had a tract come up for auction that would adjoin some land I already farmed. Before the auction started, the lead auctioneer gave a pep talk, including to say once the auction started, don't hesitate to bid as there would be no recess taken before completion.
Well, I had the last bid as things stalled, and then to my surprise, they called for a recess. During the recess, out of the blue walks in an older well established farmer, who cast the only and winning bid after the recess ended. In hindsight, I blame myself, no one else for not bidding again, or talking to the auctioneers during the recess, reminding them of their earlier statement, but life happens.
At machinery auctions I have often been 2nd. Big deal, it's early winter, keep looking.
I'm also a small farmer that has a tractor lineup I kid I have to hide before the Old Thresher type events in the summer. If when I'm done a person is interested in having and/or restoring such pieces of history, that'd be great imo.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)