AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

McAfee AV & firewall software question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 5/4/2009 17:07 (#702829 - in reply to #702532)
Subject: Re: McAfee AV & firewall software question

Grand Rapids, MI
OK, I am not the expert, but let me tell you what I have found.

Any Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware will by definition slow your computer, at least if they are doing something worthwhile ;-) The question is to what degree. I (and others here it sounds like) have had problems with Norton slowing down a computer or causing compatibility issues. I have also seen many issues with people who installed the free AV's without completely unistalling the old ones which really causes issues. I have not had problems with McAfee, but also have not really had much experience with it. The difference in speed depends on many things such as how the program in written. IMHO many software programmers have gotten greedy with your computer rescources, as if their program is the only one you ever need to run so they can take all your rescources, or thinking that everyone has the kind of high end multi-core machine that they develop on. Many times to be honest the free stuff is simpler and does only what it is supposed to well.

What I use is Anti-Vir from Avira, I think they are a German company. It is free for personal use and ~$25 for commercial use IIRC. This is based on a search I did a few years back, so I am not sure if it is still rated near the top or not. What I can tell you is that I maintain about 15-20 computers and have not had any issues with it. It doesn't have anti-spyware though, so you will need to have a seperate package. I use Spybot, and it is very good, the downside is it doesn't automatically update (Anti-vir does) I have had no spyware problems if the user does a quick manual update once a week or so. It is also free.

I use Anti-Vir
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)