AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

depreciation/appreciation in cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

puff33m
Posted 1/15/2018 10:39 (#6506625 - in reply to #6506448)
Subject: RE: depreciation/appreciation in cattle

N FLA
We talk about it here (on NAT) from time to time. Its not really been NAT approved. We haven't really been able to qualify what it would look like on paper. I'm trying to keep heifers and sell old cows. I started with really old cows. I bet I am at 50% or less success rate. Going from a heifer to putting the 2nd live calf on the ground in my calving window. This is low input system. I'm pretty sure that could be improved. But I look at failure to perform as sales opportunity. Fail to breed, sell. Lose calf, sell. Fail to breed back, sell. Fail to have second calf on time, sell pair. Im in a bigger hole now than when i started. Maybe value of inventory can account for that.

Like everything. It seems like you just have to match your resources. If you can grow and breed heifers inexpensively. AND feed the second calvers all the groceries she needs inexpensively. Then it can work out. But about 50% of your herd will have very high nutrition needs. It would help to have access to good bulls cheap because your keeping all the daughters.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)