AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Breaking Crp
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

OlsonKrist
Posted 12/12/2017 10:17 (#6423705 - in reply to #6423271)
Subject: RE: Breaking Crp

nw MN
I did 400 acres a couple years ago. I moldboard plowed it then disked it. I had to burn it first, the trash wouldn't clear the plow. The light ground flipped over perfectly and was nice and black, the heavy ground was still a little lumpy. One big operator around used a big wishek, 30" blades and hit it twice, then cultivated. Others chiseled and cultivated multiple times. The plow left less sod lumps on top but was not as level as the other guys. I had plow layups to deal with. This was all fall tillage though and it was able to sit over the winter.

If you are doing it in the spring you are gonna want to be careful. A little too wet doing deep tillage and it will be wrecked for the year. If it was me I would be pulling my sunflower disk over it a couple times. It is heavy enough to penetrate about and inch and would take down the gopher mounds and level a bit and cut up some of that heavy residue but not heavy enough to do any real tillage. It will also work any floated fertilizer in a bit. Then I would crank the planter into notill mode and plant beans into it. Make sure you plant treated seed, wireworms and seed corn maggots are nuts in crp ground especially if it is not worked in the fall.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)