AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Breaking Crp
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

johns_79
Posted 12/13/2017 16:08 (#6426693 - in reply to #6423271)
Subject: RE: Breaking Crp

Windom, MN
I rented 50 acres coming out of CRP 3 years ago and this is what I did.

It was burned in the spring, then I disked it once with an IH 490. I came back with the disk about a week later and disked it again running at a different angle. A 90 year old neighbor suggested the different angle to tear the grass roots and kill it better, I guess it's some old timer logic but I figured I would try it. A few days later I ran the field cultivator over it because it was still rather lumpy. It was going to be beans, so I planted a little slower than normal, then hired the neighbor to roll the field. The roller really smashed down the clumps and made combining easy.

I had good beans and was happy with the tillage passes. Since it is somewhat marginal ground, I did not want a ripper out there, all that would do is pull up rocks. Plowing was out because of some hillsides and I was doing this all in the spring. Spring plowing doesn't work so well here. I really only wanted to level it out and work the top 3 to 4 inches, which worked well. I still rent the farm and don't do deep tillage out there. No gullys washed or anything, so I will continue to manage this farm a little differently that the other ones.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)