AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why Do You Farm?????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 11/18/2017 05:41 (#6372346 - in reply to #6371397)
Subject: RE: Why Do You Farm?????

southern MN
MrMe - 11/17/2017 15:00

Why do you farm? After seeing all the complaining about not making any money I have wondered why people don't go do something else. If any other business starts loosing money they sharpen their techniques and get more revenue. It seems when farmers aren't making money they complain about all their input costs and lose their focus on what it takes to create more revenue. By doing a better job at getting more yield and fine tuning fertility etc.

Not trying to upset anyone just expressing my thoughts!

What else would I do?

I'm not sure the answer to negative farming numbers is to focus on getting more yield. Other industries focus on supply management. Government in any organized country would -never- allow coordinated supply management of Ag products, they will always favor over supply and deal with the subsidies and whatever other band aids needed. But you can't produce your way out of low prices in any event, I question that.

More efficient sure which might include better yields sure; but one has to consider that will actually lower prices and affect the bottom line negatively so you better be chasing real efficiency and cost cutting, not 'more yield' by itself.

We are not playing in a fair game, so a little complaining is certainly justified. In general, I find farmers to be the most optimistic bunch around, including the folks on this forum. Blowing off a little steam by complaining, while planning to do it all again next year, seems normal and good.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)