AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

family farms where only a couple members farm?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

hinfarm
Posted 5/1/2014 08:12 (#3847758 - in reply to #3847705)
Subject: RE: family farms where only a couple members farm?

Amherst WI
Montgomeryj1 - 5/1/2014 06:55

I realize it's too late. Way too late haha. I don't mean to be a p.i.t.a. or argue either. What's the best course I'd actin to keep this from having again though? I can't see how any farm can grow and survive when it gets split every generation.

IMO I don't think each child should get equal parts of the farm. Take this example...

Child A helps dad on the farm his whole life, then dad dies when the child is age 50 so he has a good 30+ years of helping on the farm in already. During that time they grew the operation from say 500 acres to 1500 acres mainly because they needed the acres to justify having child A there.

Child B Did a little on the farm when he was in 4-H and what not but then went on to an intown non-farm type job making good money. Child B has no intrest in the farm until Pa dies because he sees dollar signs.

I'm not saying Child B isn't entitled nothing but he certinally shouldn't be getting the 1000 acres of land that was added when Child A wanted to farm with dad. The 500, well that could go either way but I would say child B should get 1/2 the household items and 1/2 of whatever mom and dad had in the bank, investments and retirement accounts assuming they just drew a salery off the farm and the rest of the profit got put back in it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)