AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Parent Teacher Conferences
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

KevinM
Posted 3/29/2013 10:27 (#2999699 - in reply to #2994184)
Subject: RE: Parent Teacher Conferences

SE IL

M&A - 3/26/2013 20:25 We went to parent teacher conferences tonight for our 5 1/2 year old son that's in Kindergarten. He's a handful. He tries but he can't control his need to talk and gets distracted easily. He micromanages everyone in the class room and spends so much time worrying about the other kids and teacher that he can't focus on doing his own stuff very well. Some days he can do a whole homework packet (4 days of homework for every week of the month, we get it a whole month at a time) in a day and others it's hard to get thru one day of the homework from the folder. He's very smart and he loves math and can read level 1 readers. His teacher told us tonight that she's recommending we think about holding him back. She's worried that the expectations of 1st grade will have him struggling next year. I asked her if we really worked hard on the reading if that would make her feel more comfortable about him going to 1st grade and she said "no". She's more worried about him not being able to stay on task and get distracted. My birthday is mid sept and I was always annoyed that I couldn't have been born just a couple weeks earlier so I could be in the older class. I was pretty mature compared to the other kids in my class in HS. His birthday is 7/11 and I don't really think it's a stretch for a 5 year old to succeed in Kindergarten. I was told by his PS teacher that we should hold him back because a lot of kids the year before were held back an that he would be 2 years younger that them. Personally I thought that was ridiculous that I should let other parents decisions affect ours. We have a 3 year old that was born on 8/11 too so this isn't our only one to decided on. What would you do or what have you done when put in this position? We're worried about him getting held back when he's been in this class a whole year and gone to PS with some of these kids for 2 years prior. I'm worried about other kids picking on him when they get older and remember that he was held back. Kids hardly need a reason to bully others these days and this would be a pretty easy thing to pick on. My husband and I were never in the popular groups and both of us were bullied as I'm sure most kids are. I know it's going to happen but one always has hope that it doesn't have to be as bad as what we endured. I've heard that being held back only really gives them an edge til the 3rd grade and if that's the case is it really worth it to have him wishing we would have made a different decision?

Our kids were born in May, Aug and Nov. The cutoff here is Sep 1 so the May and Nov weren't close to the cutoff. Plus they were girls and I think that makes some difference. Our son was the Aug and he could have gone but we just didn't feel he was ready for the reasons you describe. However about Jan he was a totally different guy. Had a lot longer attention span and could sit still for longer periods of time. I don't know if you have to decide right now but I would suggest to wait till late summer to make the decision if you can. I know the teachers will want to get their class sizes firmed up by then so I would think they will let you wait. I wouldn't worry about any stigma if you decide to hold him back. Kids at that age don't remember stuff like that for too long. I will tell you what his K teacher told us-"Boys who live in the country have a harder time getting settled down". I don't know exactly why that is true but she said she had seen it for a long time. So I don't know if you live in the country but that could be a contributing factor. Again, just do what is best for the child and don't worry about "labels" and such. Good luck.

PS: I saw a segment on (I think) 60 Minutes about parents holding their kids back from starting because they thought it would give them an edge-particularly in sports. If enough do that it kind of negates the edge doesn't it?  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)