AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

anyone with experience flying on Urea on tall corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jocoshar23
Posted 3/15/2013 08:12 (#2966562 - in reply to #2965984)
Subject: RE: anyone with experience flying on Urea on tall corn

SE IA
JDPlowboy - 3/14/2013 21:23

jocoshar23

How can you say a plane does a poor job from your statement?  It turned the corn green and did not burn it.  What more can you ask for?  Except yield results. 

Well, first of all, the spread job was very uneven in my judgement. it was not like spreading dry fertilizer with a spreader box. Maybe I had too high of expectations, especially when you spend $15-20/Acre for just the application. If I was going to spread anything, I would hire a highboy with a spreader box.

Perhaps I didn't elude completely in my post, the corn was yellow, it didn't rain after they applied the urea. So that urea was never "rained in." To my knowledge, a plant cannot take up a dry fertilizer prill without moisture. So the whole field started turning green after it quit raining for a month and the roots got some oxygen and were able to go after some of the N that had probably leached a foot or two deep. The urea did nothing for the "greening" effect of the corn as it never got moisture to activate the fertilizer.

On our fields, they were extremely yellow that year, we put down 80# of N preplant, then sidedressed another 80# (were lucky to get in and get it done) Our fields were as p_ss yellow as theirs but I figured we couldn't be short on N after getting that side-dress put on just a week or two before the terrible rains. And after it quit raining, both our fields and theirs greened up, and if I remember correct he had put down Preplant NH3 at a full rate and wasn't planning on side-dressing.

The yields that year weren't that good, and after talking to my neighbor, he said he didn't think he got a bit of good out of that urea, (it was more of an emotional decision over a logical decision). I was questioning myself if it could be N deficiency as many neighbors were flying on the urea.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)