AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

disappointed drive around on Sunday?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NEIndiana
Posted 2/4/2013 09:48 (#2873925 - in reply to #2873911)
Subject: Re: disappointed drive around on Sunday?

Columbia City, Indiana
I think some of you folks are being too hard on old Garvo. I for one commend him and I'll assume the best, that he's not just being nosy but rather taking an interest in a younger guy's operation and trying to be helpful. Back when I was a teacher and HS football coach, I remember going to a coaching clinic where the speaker told a large group of veteran coaches that one of the most important things they could do was "Coach these young coaches." It's the same thing here. As a young guy, I love it when a more experienced neighbor pulls in. I like to ask other people's opinion, though. That is, as long as I respect the job they do on their own stuff. From Garvo's pics, it's pretty obvious he does a very good job, so if he wants to make about a 10 hour drive east, I'd love for him to pull into my place. One does have to be careful how they word the advice, though. Maybe starting off with something like "I've fed a lot of cattle, and made a lot of mistakes. Do you mind if I give you a tip about something that I've learned will put money in your pocket?" The young guy, unless he's an arrogant idiot, will be immediately sucked in once it's related to money. Then the experienced guy, be it Garvo or someone else, can say "If those cattle have feed in the bunk at the same time every day, they'll gain a lot more consistently and finish faster. You can trim a few days off at the end that way. Say it costs you X per head per day to feed, and you can shave 3 days off at the end. That puts 3X in your pocket."
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)