AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Automatic or Semi-Automatic, large magazine weapons & Newtown - a suggestion for discussion
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

chadincolo
Posted 12/17/2012 11:24 (#2757615 - in reply to #2757087)
Subject: RE: Automatic or Semi-Automatic, large magazine weapons & Newtown - a suggestion for discussion

Lander, WY
It all comes back to the question what is the purpose of the 2nd Amendment? Is it to allow people to hunt? To protect their homes? From the historical reading I've done, the Founding Fathers didn't think so. They knew, just the fact that people HAD guns kept them from needing to use them to defend their liberties and freedoms.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States

People say that "modern society" means we don't need protection from our government, that out government would not trample our rights. I say bovine fecal matter. Look around the world. There are probably more tyranical governments masquarading as democracies now than any time in history. In our own country, it's becoming less majority rule and more vocal minority rule.

To get back to Jim's question, since the 2nd Amendment was directed not at protecting against individuals, but against armies and enemies, foreign or domestic, why wouldn't we be able to have the same weapons the armies do? Thomas Paine, if alive today, would probably agree. Not that they ever need to be used, but that the fact that they CAN be used provides a major deterant.

"The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand arms, like laws, discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside … Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."
Thomas Paine

BUT, I also say we are way to easy on criminals. You can not allow somebody to commit an act of violence, put them in a place with other violent offenders for 5 years and let them out. You can't let people with the violent tendencies (that it is appearing this latest nut job had) walk the streets. Once someone has shown they have no respect for law, they have a very very very long road to earn any respect back under the law.

The other thing the Founding Fathers believed was that along with great freedoms, came great responsibilities. We as a nation have lost that...multigeneration history of taking government handouts...People demanding the government keep them safe 24/7... people who are in it only for themselves, and worse, in it for their party... Even as recently as JFK, the thought of something greater than the individual at least was there, "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." Now, it seems to be a bigger and bigger part of this country are asking what they get out of being in the country, not what the country is gaining by them being here.

Look at the full context, the motive behind people's words. Don't look at one shooting by one person, who could have done just as much with a .410 shotgun. Or a few kitchen knives, or a propane bottle and a flare, as a reason to ban his tool. These were mostly 6 and 7 year old kids... They would have been just as terrified of a man with a knife. Or a baseball bat. The tool wasn't to blame, unless it serves to further your viewpoint. Ask yourself why we aren't hearing calls for banning assault bows after what happened in Casper? The answer is that it doesn't serve to further someone's viewpoint.

Sorry I kinda rambled on, this is such a big topic, and so twisted by media and those with a motive...I don't think it's an easy thing to get across. I guarantee, at least one person will pull one line from my post and say "nutjob" or something similar instead of reading, and thinking, and responding in a civilized, thoughtful manner, as I hope I did for you Jim.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)