AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Automatic or Semi-Automatic, large magazine weapons & Newtown - a suggestion for discussion
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

lincmercguy
Posted 12/17/2012 01:10 (#2757085 - in reply to #2757077)
Subject: RE: Automatic or Semi-Automatic, large magazine weapons & Newtown - a suggestion for discussion

CO, NE

Jim - 12/16/2012 22:55

I am familiar with the Swiss practice of everyone serving in the reserves then taking his weapon home with him. The weapons I have seen in Swiss homes under this practice are not the rapid-fire/large-magazine rifles I am talking about here.  One thing about the Swiss system is the requirement for all or most young men to go through reservist training. That would be something that might be very valuable if we could get it adopted here.>

Actually, Jim, those are exactly the the types of firearms you are talking about here. The Swiss are issued the SIG-550, which is very similar to the AR-15. When training/service is complete, the SIG is modified to semi-auto only (every AR-15 is semi-auto) and the reservists take them home.

The SIG-550 modified to semi-auto is very similar in function and capability to the AR-15. The SIG-556 is the version made as a semi-auto and is sold in the US. They take AR-15 magazines.

I'm sure the SIG-556 will be covered in Sen. Feinstein's bill that she's been working on for a year and now has found an opportunity to introduce.  The SIG-550 can't be sold in the US because a fully-automatic firearm converted to semi-auto is still not legal under the NFA and FOPA.

SIG-550:

AR-15:

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)