AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1480 concaves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Redwrench
Posted 7/17/2006 22:21 (#27541 - in reply to #27485)
Subject: Re: 1480 concaves

Hi Jon...sorry about that kinda blunt remark! Well, it wasn't exactly intended to be a blanket statement, but we have tried the cover plates on factory LW concaves; not ******* stuff, and find that in tough dry small grains (Russian beardless wheat, for example) they are at least almost worthless. I think the problem is lack of enough surface threshing area (lots of small wires sticking up versus fewer larger wires) and perhaps also that the crop mat tends to fall out too soon between the larger wires after it gets past the 1st concave and cover plate setup. IMHO, an Axial Flow is like a Swiss Army knife-- it'll do anything if you'll pull out the right tool.
We had pretty poor results with one of ******* "universal" "all-crop" air foil chaffers, and had quite a bit of trouble and it took too long to get our customer's money back (our customer got the propaganda talk at a farm show, and then insisted on buying it through us instead of direct from them) and I've not been inclined to deal with them know-it-alls since then. (Yes sir, I DO know how to set a concave...Yes sir I DO know how to adjust the concave pinch point..Yes Sir I DO want to ship this damn thing back. etc.)
You talk about blanket statements; read one of their pamphlets or talk to them on the phone ;)

In a dealership situation, I tend to promote what I know "will" work from years of experience with Axial Flows. I do believe you when you say you can threst wheat with large wire and a specialized set-up, but I still have to wonder if the small-wire setup wouldn't do a better job in the identical conditions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)