AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1480 concaves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Larry in AB
Posted 7/18/2006 12:50 (#27701 - in reply to #27566)
Subject: air foil chaffer

Alberta, Canada
I bought my old 1480 back in 97' I think. Anyway it has one of them non adjustable airfoil chaffers in it plus the fan throat kit and what not from harvest services. Well we go to combining canola and well it was pretty bad we thought. So much so we felt our little old IH 715 was holding way more canola. We tried this and that talked to nieghbors with them the dealer and so on. So we took out the air foil chaffer and bought a factory one to put it back to stock etc.

Went out to the field and...........it was still piss poor. We found if you cranked the wind up it would blow it out on the sides, turn it down and it would shake it off the chaffer. Ended up dealer said "well the 715 is a very good small grains combine don't expect the 1480 to hold in as much canola, as your going to have a % of losses etc. etc".
We felt it was just too much maybe we are fuzzy but It was pretty bad I felt.

So after bieng very disapointed with my "new" combine I finnally figured out what was wrong! The rigded air foild chaffer was installed backwards. The tin part of if was welded in the frame backwards. The prevoius owner installed it the only way he possible but it was backwards. The holes were facing foward etc. I had never seen one before so I didn't know what to look for till I saw a picture of one.

So I took out the factory chaffer out, put the harvest throat kit stuff back in and took apart the air foil chaffer and rewelded it back in the frame the correct way. Put it back together and tried it out again. It was a TOTALLY DIFFERENT COMBINE!!!!! Limiting factor was taking it the front end as it wouldn't dump anything out the back. We couldn't believe the difference this made.

Now year to year it doesn't always work quite as well as it depends on how "dry" the canola straw is. AS some years when its super dry it really breaks up and over loads the chaffer. But over all I think it's a way better system then the old factory set up. Maybe an adjustable air foil chaffer would fine tune it more.

Funny thing is the prevous owner drove it for 3 seasons like this! He traded it off on a JD 9600 as the old 1480 was getting up there in hrs. for all the land they harvested.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)