AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1480 concaves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 7/17/2006 23:14 (#27566 - in reply to #27541)
Subject: Re: 1480 concaves

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Something that may be of interest to both jwab and Redwrench. The LW harvest concaves in my combines have a dozen seasons on them, so are not worn out(my opinion :) although the bars are starting to round off a bit. With standard rotors with well worn bars,I had to be careful with concave clearance (tight) and rotor rpm (fast) to clear the whitecaps in some of the harder threshing spring wheat,never could totally eliminate them in some types of wheat. Last year we replaced the standard rotors with specialty rotors with Gordon bars on the front two rows and the Stewart Steel auger front for an AFX style smooth feed. With this setup the whitecaps in wheat are gone and capacity in tough stuff like field pea is up about 25% without almost no rumble thump. The harvest fixed air foil chaffer works well in a 1480 with the paddle fan if you make a few mod's. You need to cover the front 6-8 inches of chaffer with a "ripple tin" blank,because there is little air up front and grain/mog falling off the auger bed fall right through onto the shoe sieve. This alone cleaned up the grain sample about 2%. Also to get enough air to the airfoil chaffer you need to remove the front 4-5 rows of shoe sieve sections(as instructed by Harvest) to allow more air to the chaffer and less trapped under the shoe sieve so grain is not blown into the return. One of the hardest things I have ever done was to trust them enough to take a cutting torch to an almost new shoe sieve,but it works,wheat returns drop by 50% after this mod. Sounds like crazy stuff,but it works very well for me in spring wheat,flax soybean,field pea.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)