AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

establising even stand of corn on no-till stubbles
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

vailcat
Posted 7/9/2012 23:55 (#2476685 - in reply to #2474042)
Subject: Re: establising even stand of corn on no-till stubbles

NCND
I agree completely with Matt in that corn is not a good idea in wheat stubble. I have an 80 this year we put to corn behind wheat after a double harrowing and fertilizer app. It still lags everything not counting the fact i replanted 60 of the 80 acres because after planting it rained and was cool. Planted 30k and was left with around 17k. Figured it was a great time to see how the replant thing goes. LEft 20 acres and replanted 60. They are almost indistinguishable even though one was planted 4/25 the other 5/25.
Had some corn planted onto groudn that was PP then followed with beans. It was chiseled in the fall of 2010 then planted to beans in June 11. This was first place we started planting corn. Even though we went through the same cold period as the 60 of replant i was left with 28k and that corn is now shoulder high and has high potential.
I do like the idea of a little tillage here and there more and more. I am going to spread our fert on then salford it in and leave the other half as is with just fertilizer applied with disk drill. Splitting a very productive 34 acre piece of ground right in half. Curious to see how it goes.
Hard knocks when you swing up to see the kids swing past my place we can yap! Just south of Lonetree!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)