AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New respect for Texas, ok, and ks grain farmers.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

okpanhandle
Posted 7/8/2012 10:40 (#2473145 - in reply to #2472999)
Subject: Re: New respect for Texas, ok, and ks grain farmers.

Guymon, OK
Wheat-sorghum-fallow on dryland, if it's irrigated we grow whatever we have the water for, and carry good insurance; that's how we do it.

Judging by all the doom and gloom here recently, I think I've seen more crop failures than a lot of farmers twice my age. I know how hard it is to watch a crop burn up, or get wiped out by a hailstorm in ten minutes. 2011 was my first year of farming on my own, and it happened to be in the middle of the worst drought in recorded (local) history. It sucked, bad, but it made me look really hard at the way we did things and got me thinking about how I could do it better. If you have never been through a major prolonged drought like this before, treat it as a learning experience. Make lots of observations and take notes, see what's working and what isn't. The more you learn now, the less likely you'll be caught with your pants down when it happens again.

Find the bright side of things where ever you can. A little bit of optimism, even if you have to fake it, goes a long way. Get off the farm for a few days if you have to. Chin up, guys. You're another day closer to rain.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)