AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How many here do NOT have crop insurance?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Minuteman Farmer
Posted 7/6/2012 15:13 (#2469919 - in reply to #2466909)
Subject: Re: How many here do NOT have crop insurance?

Something to think about....another perspective.

I'm proud that we as U.S. farmers feed not only our fellow countrymen but the world. A widespread drought may not spell disaster for many of us, or the pocketbook of our fellow consumers, but it's impact is certainly felt throughout the world either in decreased supply or increased commodity prices. Now what would happen if a significant number of U.S. farmers were unable to recover from a severe drought? I'm sure many of us have cash positions that we could still get the crop in the ground the year following a drought but how many of us don't? And what if, God forbid, we experienced back to back years of little to no income. Would we be able to recover then? With global population expanding the way that it is what would happen if there were no grain reserve or even a grain deficit? Certainly prices could skyrocket but try to imagine some scenarios in parts of the world where governments were not able to feed their people. How would the political, military and flat out financial costs of those scenarios impact the U.S.? Government subsidized crop insurance isn't a handout to farmers. In effect it's a national security insruance program that ensures there is at least an incentive for farmers to protect themselves so that we can continue to feed the world. I for one cannot afford (yet) to fund next season without income from this season so I participate in crop insurance. Maybe some day I will get to a point where I will be able to "self-insure" but until them I'll be grateful for the insurance and I hope that others will be as well. Even those who don't personally need it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)