AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How many here do NOT have crop insurance?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

lawfarms
Posted 7/5/2012 09:34 (#2467685 - in reply to #2466909)
Subject: RE: How many here do NOT have crop insurance?

King City, Mo
none here...

Rant 1

Seems like alot of guys around here make it there goal to farm enough to where they always get some preventative plant money on corn, then plant the field to beans when i'm planting my wheat beans...or you hear stories of loads of corn/beans getting moved from one field to another to bump yield one place and get insurance claim on the other field. I know everybody doesn't do that but the ones that do just urks me.
Crop insurance is good to manage risk but i don't agree with people using it as a tool to farm more, or to make sure they get a payment every year. A few years ago a BTO collected preventative planting on more acres then i farm!

Yes i sell my information about what crop is planted where to the FSA office, If i wasn't getting any money from them i wouldn't give them my information so they are buying it from me.

I try and take the money that the ins would of cost and spend it on better equipment or more fertilizer. If we don't raise much of a crop this year won't need much fertilizer for next year. Growing nongmo beans so can save the seed so need a few there.

Gotta have money for the land payment, cash rent, living expenses, fuel, chemical so may be working at MacDonald/Walmart or someplace this winter to bring in cash. Do you want frys with that?

rant 2 - (While i'm on my soap box)

We had a child a couple falls ago, we pay his insurance and clip coupons and watch sale adds ect for food ect. We try to save where we can and work for what we have. If we can't afford it, we don't buy it.

I have been sitting on the floor of wal-mart in my overalls trying to figure out the baby food coupons where you can only get so many of each type of product on a separate ticket or it's no good. I have saved $11 in one trip just on baby food... Two girls walk up with a list and one goes "get the higher priced one, it's better, it doesn't matter WIC will pay for it" They walk off with a pile of food and i'm still sittin' on the floor eeeer.......

or when i call the health department they won't give the free imumizations to my son on the days that they have WIC...So my wife (i don't do needles) has to take off work early instead of going in on her early quit day.

When my wife was pregnant she would pay a little ahead each time we went to the dr's office and most of the stuff would be paid for by the time baby came. Were in line and a mom-to-be-of-the-year winner was there and told the receptionist "I am only gonna do that test if medicade or medicare will pay for it." She had on designer cloths, hair highlighted and a smart phone......

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)