AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

generac standby generator?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 7/4/2012 09:21 (#2465706 - in reply to #2465661)
Subject: Re: generac standby generator?

Chebanse, IL.....

I think GeneChamp's original thread is concerning an "automatic" standby..unless I'm wrong. The kind that senses line power loss & usually within 3 seconds restores you to generator power. My experience thru the years is that when power goes out, you normally do nothing for about 4-5 hrs, thinking power will come back on. Then you start to realize that 17,000,000 other people are probably out also (depends on outage reason) & that you might not be first to get back on....might be last. Then, it also depends on why the power went out. It could be a horrendous thunderstorm & downpour (that's rain if no one remembers during this drought!) going on & you have no power. So, are you going to run out & fire up the 4010 & hook up the connections during the storm? Well, maybe you will if someone in the house has life-threatening situation. Then there's the winter storms we get here that take miles & miles of poles down. You go out to fire up the 4010 & it's -22 (Farenheit here) out. Luckily you had it plugged in, but unluckily you waited that 4 hrs I was talking about earlier. 4010 block is now -22 also. Doesn't matter, fuel is gelled up anyway...unless you've got a gas 4010. This all assumes you are home when the power goes out...and can get home if you need to! Most of the auto-start standbys in this area are sold with  battery chargers & sometimes block heaters & run on LP or NG. Brother has an LP standby unit & often he doesn't know the power even went out, except he may have a clock "flashing" when he gets up. Longest power outage we ever had was 7-8 days, though some neighbors/relatives were almost 14 days w/no power. Luckily it wasn't in the blistering heat, it was in a freezing snow/ice storm. Some people were at work & couldn't get home for a couple of days....or at least that's what they claimed.

So yes, pto will put out lots of power, but after you look into & price an auto-standby, you like the idea. But if you're trying to run 400A farm service, it may not be practical either.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)