AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A good study, Manure, crop residue & Building soil O.M.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

soil-life
Posted 12/1/2011 06:36 (#2078216 - in reply to #2078140)
Subject: Re: A good study, Manure, crop residue & Building soil O.M.

North Central Ohio, across the Corn belt !
quote IDAGON, ( This got me thinking that maybe there could be more OM in the soil that what is coming back in the soil tests, but maybe it is just in an "unstable" form and therefore unmeasured. ) end quote. think soil tilth, soil texture, soil residue, carbon digestion etc. etc. forming Humic acid and soil Humus as nature intended.

Yes, I just recently visited about the tobacco growers in North central Tenn. Southern Ky. regions. Utilizing composted Litter, Calcium, k. S. rich Litter. almost a cult like secret for some. maybe Old time Moonshiners ??? HaHa could be
they well understand fermentation and digestion.
the production, plant quality, plant health results are certainly there. But to just glance at a standard soil analysis. ? one would never think.

this is why recycling your crop residue, In my opinion, is the best maintenance program to begin with on many farms. for long term sustainable Agriculture.
Now we can debate all day Long concerning the term. recycling crop residue. ? How, or not to till. ? this depends on the soils and the Management of the residue into the soils.
from No till to strip till to a chisel plow.
ALL can work on some specific soils under specific management practices.

there are also forum members in Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska that apply 20 to 40 ton of composted manure annually, or semi annually for, under irrigation growing 220 to 250 plus bu. corn continually.
Now they use tons of Gypsum, Calcium Lime, AMS and lots of K when needed to adjust the nutrients to compliment the manure at hand.
So there are many operations working somewhat parallel with what this work is visiting about.

I do not know if you are in Florida IDAGCON
but what YOU describe with YOUR situation sounds familiar.
within a 50 mile range of the spud , Hastings area somewhat.

OM. Lab procedure.
Your close.
call Midwest or A and L labs, visit with their chemist and they will tell you their procedure.

I am sure someone working, or recently familiar with the lab procedures will chime in.
Measuring the soil versus weighing the soil to be analyzed is critical because sands have differing weights, versus volume. ?
compared to Muck soils for an example.

BUT for pure Laboratory efficiency, it is easier for the staff to measure than weigh each and every sample. SO beware of how YOUR lab does the sample prep.
for the most accurate across a wide scale of soils. WEIGHING each and every sample for a good and accurate soil Humus analysis is critical.
and for the most part. Laboratory measured soil humus is commonly reported as soil O.M.

REMEMBER, many AG. labs have set up for volume grid sampling co-ops and such with an economical lab procedure. across the board.
Last week a farmer showed me some analysis done by a co-op grid sampling his farm.
he had a PH reading, and a P and K reading. on each soil analysis. He said he was told that is all they needed to program his farmer and sell P and K with their N program. and they variable rated lime according to the soil PH. NO buffer PH was reported nor soil estimated CEC or even O.M. ?
so is MORE lab work always better ? You have to be the one to decide that. for your farm.

so for consistency, and for Your better understanding of tracking YOUR soil Humus. CALL your Lab.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)