AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

College or not?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

BOGTROTTER
Posted 8/30/2011 09:21 (#1937558 - in reply to #1936614)
Subject: Re: College or not?

Kingston,Mi
I went to college to become an engineer, after 1 term I switched to University College (undeclared major) because I was very deficient in mathematics. When I had to declare a major, I choose Animal Husbandry and recieved my degree almost 40 years ago (Dec. 1971). During the 3 3/4 years that I wasn't going to become an engineer, I took classes in soils, crops, ag. enginnering (basic concepts) and animal science. Out of the 180 credits that Michigan State required for graduation, 120 are in various agriculture disiplines. A few where in various liberal arts such as American Thought and Language, even these course's provided valuable insight to how the world works.

I have farmed for more than 35 years since leaving the Army in 1975 (another benefit to 4 years of college as not entering the Army in 1967) and have never missed the years that I spent in college nor the friends that I made there.

The combination of college and military helped me gain employment with the USDA as a Soil Conservation technician then as a Civil Engineering Technician.

In that simpler time, I was able to earn most of what it cost to stay in college by working in factories in the summer and working nearly full time at a cab company while at college, so that when I graduated, I only had a small loan from the US Government that was demanded and paid while in the Army ( would have been forgiven if I had become a teacher) what I didn't earn, my parents made up. Not that my parents were rich, both worked at a state hospital as nurse attendentants and every year for 6 years another brother or sister entered college.

The time spent will pay you in many ways over many years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)