AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

College or not?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

SDFarmboy
Posted 8/29/2011 22:20 (#1936846 - in reply to #1936614)
Subject: RE: College or not?

whatsright - 8/29/2011 21:17 Hi I am new here and looking for some advice on college and going back to the farm. I am trying to figure out if I should go to college for 2yrs, 4yrs, or quit after this year and save my money to use for a down payment on a farm. Some background info Im 18 and graduated from high school this spring and am currently attending a 2 year community college close to my home town where Im majoring in ag business. My father currently farms 750ac of corn/beans and has 40cows, I crop share 40ac with a neighbor and have 5cows that are in with my dads herd. My goal is to be farming full-time by the time Im 28 whether it is on my own or in partnership with my dad or someone else. There are 2 or 3 neighboring farms that I anticipate will come up for sale within the next 10yrs and I would like to be in the position to buy one of them. My parents have told me that they would help me get started farming if I went to college or some kind of trade school after high school. I have enough money to pay for my full first year of college but am using the government loans that I qualify for because money cant get any cheaper then it is (3% interest and interest doesn’t start until your out of school) this loan will cover a little about 1/3 of my college expenses, I also have enough scholarships to pay for 1 semester of college.. I have been at college for a week and a half and in my downtime I have started thinking about if going to college will pay for itself in the long run (yes I have a job 2 as a matter of fact but I don’t start for a little while). During high school I worked for my father when I wasn’t in school, I am able to do everything on the farm, I don’t have very much experience running a sprayer but I am able to learn that and anything else need be. So my first question is what would I be worth as full-time hired man now? What would I be worth after 2 years of college? And after 4 years of college with a degree in agronomy? Im worried that by going to college I will be paying that debt when I could be saving money to use for a down payment on a farm. So Im thinking that I would be better off after my first year of college to get a job and farm what I can on the side and save money to use for a down payment on a farm. Thanks in advance for all replies.

I do have some questions for you, and first off your parents have offered you some good advice.
It is good for you to get off the farm to gain some experience before returning.  Are you able to
handle college level courses and have the will to learn, and can gain from that.  For many it
is a very good idea to get an education, and then work "off" the farm to find out what working
is like away from mom and dad, and get some experience.
I am thinking you need at least 2 years of college to get some education, and that does mean
more than beer and pizza.
Your parents need to be committed to helping you get started.  I would recommend a 2 yr.
college commitment, and then a job.  I like your idea of working off farm, for a while  and then helping in your spare time.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)