AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AgLeader's Closed Software System
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

mcline
Posted 2/23/2011 21:17 (#1631984 - in reply to #1631548)
Subject: Re: AgLeader's Closed Software System

Ladoga, IN, United States, North America, Earth
wilbev - 2/23/2011 18:38

Sounds like you're another doubter, even though several have said they agree with the concept.

You keep going back to grouping everyone in that they agree with the concept. I don't doubt that there can be an open file format, it would be nice to standardize it. But from my experience with ISO, just because you standardize it doesn't make it the best, even for the end user. Everything has to be tweaked to maximize it for their particular expectations and goals.

Take for example my race car. I race stock cars on asphalt. Everyone in my series is running exactly same chassis, engine, tires. We are all bound by spec rules. However, my driving style is not like the next persons, therefore my car setup can be all entirely different from the next guy. He probably couldn't drive my car and I couldn't drive his.

Everyone is trying to tune their specific OS for optimal efficiency. So they might do things in a different way, hold a different format for a specific value. If it was all standard you would need to know what OS created it and then parse everything according to that spec, there is the reason why you have different file formats.

Websites are another good example. I'm working on building websites. There is a standard out there depending on what language you want to write in. However, there is a good chance an Internet Explorer browser is going to display different than a Firefox browser. So you end up having to write specific parts of code that are designed specifically for the different browsers. Extra stuff that a display shouldn't have to worry about skipping over when trying to right your data 10 times/sec.

I will hold on to my opinion that while it is a great idea the amount of work involved in it would be too much to keep up. I guess I'll be the doubter. But let me know when you get it all engineered and ready to go.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)