AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AgLeader's Closed Software System
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

torn
Posted 2/23/2011 07:31 (#1630553 - in reply to #1630427)
Subject: Re: AgLeader's Closed Software System

roaming
In your original post, you asked:
wilbev 2/22/2011 12:02
How do others feel about this?

But when you don't like the responses, you seem to take offense by telling us we don't "get it"?
wilbev 2/23/2011 00:09
Some of you get it, many of you don't.

I don't thing anyone here disagrees that an open file format would in some ways benefit the end-user. But the selection of which "open" file format to use is critically important. You laud Trimble and Raven for adopting SHP files, when there are (as noted in several posts above) known limitations to those files that mean they would not be the best choice for overall ag use. Maybe they just adopted the shapefile because it was less costly than developing a file format that would be best for all the activities they're involved in now, not specifically because it was "open". You have to remember that Trimble started as a GPS company, not a full-on precision ag provider. If they had known 20 years ago that they were someday going to be controlling rates, (trying to) monitor yield, etc, etc, etc, I wonder if they would have still taken on SHP as their preferred format.

Your original post also indicated that a paid software package is required to read AgLeader data. That appears to be disproven by several posters.

As for Raven, I see in their yield monitor package (SmartYield), they simply refer to "Record keeping and coverage maps made simple with file formats for saving, reporting, and importing data". http://www.ravenprecision.com/goraven/SmartYield.jsp
Can anyone confirm whether they are still using SHP files for this data, or if they have a different format? The SmartYield ops manual does not appear to say what format is used.

Edited by torn 2/23/2011 07:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)