AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AgLeader's Closed Software System
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

wilbev
Posted 2/22/2011 15:37 (#1629255 - in reply to #1629217)
Subject: Re: AgLeader's Closed Software System

My point is not to get too hung up on "Free" software. I don't expect any software vendor to give away free software. These free viewers provide some value, they allow a user to view their yield data from multiple types of monitors. Oh but wait, they won't import Ag Leader data, so I have to download their software to view that data. Now if I want to do some analysis with this data, I would buy one these paid for versions or hire a consultant to help me out.

The bigger point I'm trying to get across is Ag Leader's and several others decision to create and implement their own file format rather than a industry standard. If fact is so bad, Ag Leader, Case IH, and Deere have multiple formats themselves. Then we all complain about the headaches with the differences in all of these formats.

I'll say it again, Raven and Trimble get it, they see the big picture, they have adopted an open file format. It's time for the others to do the same. If your software is so great, then what's the worry about adopting a open format in your hardware devices?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)