AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AgLeader's Closed Software System
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

wilbev
Posted 2/22/2011 14:54 (#1629180 - in reply to #1629131)
Subject: Re: AgLeader's Closed Software System

Thanks for analyzing my choices to post on the forum. I have always been more of a reader to this forum but this lack of openness in the file formats has drove me nuts over the years. I just wish more us would finally take a harder stance on this. Sounds like you're not with me. I'm not trying to start a fight and I appreciate your comments on this.

Ok, so you have a different definition of proprietary file format. How about calling it non-standard or open file format. As I'm sure you know, the shape file is a GIS industry standard, that is completely open and nearly all if not all GIS related software can export/import to. So what is more difficult, making each software company and user worry about what format the yield data or controller file is in or they are all a single standardized format? I don't care if it's a shape file or some xml file, but it needs to be a non-precision ag software vendor created (what I'm calling non-proprietary) so these companies egos don't get in the way. The shape file seems like a logical choice and it is good to see companies like Raven and Trimble adopt this.

I'm still waiting to hear the benefit of using a .yld or ilf for us users?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)