AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Freeze damage wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

msb
Posted 4/5/2007 15:45 (#131560 - in reply to #131525)
Subject: RE: Freeze damage wheat

Lapel, In
All I know is from limited experience. We had a hard freeze here on Mother's Day in 1991 , I think it was. Killed a lot of almost knee high corn in the low ground.Didn't seem to affect the wheat grain yield at all, but we had the prettiest white straw you even saw that summer. Our usual harvest date here is July 4 or so.
The teacher in a commodities futures class whick I took back in the 70s, was a broker with David A. Noyes.He said you can't kill wheat. He said traders try to kill some off every year somewhere from freezing, blowing winds or drought.Said it never happens.------ If it is possible, this year will be the year and since the fertilizer on the wheat ground would be better suited for a corn or milo crop, Katy bar the door on corn prices. Soybeans are looking better every day.
Remembering back. Had an old landlord who said there was a freeze on July 4 th in 1913, one of his first years to farm. There was no crop of any kind that year. It killed everything. Almost a hundred years ago?They called it the winter without a summer. What goes around, comes around????
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)