AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sad news- 12 year old killed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dave morgan
Posted 2/5/2010 14:11 (#1059511 - in reply to #1059385)
Subject: RE: Sad news- 12 year old killed

Somerville, Indiana
The tractor head lights would show from the rear, a black shadow in the center of the lights, flashing lights on a vehicle in the center of the road signals an emergency. We have a huge problem with cases similar, almost all in daylight as we don't move after dark either unless it is imperitive, and most of those times are before daylight. we have found that flashing 4 ways, tail lights of any kind, other than an emergency vehicle will be noticed by average auto inhabitant. Only reason for that being he is afraid of a bill if emergency lights happen to be an officer of written tickets. We are on the volunteer fire department here, not by choice, but out of necessity. Son-in-law is very much into fire department in his township, and is an emergency tech in the almost dead entrance to the hospital there. He has seen it all as they say. He and his family have small lights on the cab of their pickups but most of the attention is gotten by the strobe lights that they drilled into their parking lights and tail lights=much attention, very effective, they have accompanied us when we had to unload along a highway, and nobody would pass us at an unsafe speed, and only when flagged on. I truly believe it comes back to the almighty fear of a ticket. All I know is it works for us. Last year I installed the strobs in my pickup. They are much more respected than are 4-way flashers.

The flagging vehicle was driven by an occupant, not trained in safety OR common sense to leave their post for any reason. Yes, we all need to go overboard as most autos now are driven by occupants, not safety concious drivers. If we don't lower accidents from ag equipment we will be forced into more silly gov't regulations which for the most part we have very little of now compared to other occupations and industries.

There is no such thing as an accident, as most as I see are premeditated carelessness.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)