AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sad news- 12 year old killed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

95h
Posted 2/5/2010 13:58 (#1059486 - in reply to #1059385)
Subject: RE: It's a very simple concept Gerald skca,,,,

Kittitas Co. Wa. State

It was night, lights were on.  Cart was 1/2 off the road way, Yes trailing vehicle was sitting in middle of the road with it's flashers on. As to the S.M.V. sign it didn't state, but none the less there was a car with it's flashers on. (assuming 1 lane road two way)

ANY DRIVER OF ANY VEHICLE IS responsible for the operation of that vehicle period. There is a steering wheel, break and gas pedal all of which the vehicle operator should know how to use.

One other point not mentioned.. there are seatbelts in most every vehicle, why was not the child safely buckled into the seat ????

Was the tractor driver at fault? likely not as he had the machine 1/2 away off the road and was stopped and the trailing vehicle was also (presumably) stopped in the middle of the white line with it's flashers going.

As several posters have stated from personal experiences regardless the time of day or amount of flashers/lights/ and plainly visible hazzard lights people still do truly stupid stuff because they fail to follow the basic rule. You drive a vehicle YOU and YOU alone are responsible for the safe operation of that vehicle. Rule #2 is NEVER OVERDRIVE YOUR LIGHTS. If you are driving so fast you can not stop,,, you are overdriving your lights.

It really does not get any plainer than that....... 

Change the cart to a car,, then who is responsible??  How about 2 kids riding their bikes along the road and the vehicle hits them then who is responsible ?? 

The rules are the same isn't it ??   The driver of a vehicle is the only person responsible for the safe operation of that vehicle regardless of time of day or weather or road conditions.

Grandma does not get a "pass" or obsolved of responsibility,, she was driving either too fast, or failed to see there was a vehicle in the middle of the road with it's flashers on.

It's called personal responsiblity for SAFE operation of a vehicle on a public road.

Do I feel bad for the child absolutely, do I feel bad for "Grandma" absolutely, do I feel bad for the guy on the tractor absolutely, do I feel bad for the trailing vehicle driver,, absolutely.   The fact remains Grandma was driving the vehicle that hit a parked object on the road despite another vehicle being parked in the middle of the road with its lights and flashers on.

Knowing that Older people do lose their night vision alot of times (not always) I would be willing to hazzard a guess that Grandma did not see the vehicle sitting in the road with it's flashers on.

I fail to see why you get mad.  Nobody is saying "I'm a farmer and the rules don't apply" and yet absolve the driver of any vehicle from the responsibilty of driving that vehicle in a safe manner given the time of day-road conditions- weather etc.

Please don't say "they should not EXPECT to",,, b.s. it is a Driver's job to maintain safe control of a vehicle. drive it safely and expect that they may have some hazzard in the roadway.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)